Thursday, March 15, 2012


Being an 18yr old, naturally I love to party. One day I was wondering, however, where do nightclubs come from? What was it like for (let's say my grandmother) to get her 'groove on' in the early 1900's? I then realized, i must not be the only one to think about this. I wen't on to ask my grandmother. "Did you happen to party when you were my age?" To which she responded, "Not at your age, but when I was married, me and your grandfather would go out... dance the swing... do the spins...through eachother in the air!.." She seemed to get really excited about the nightclub culture of her youth, and come to think of it, she has told me many times before how "kids just don't dance the way they used to." I couldn't help but wonder, in what other ways did nightclub culture change, as the fad of clubing became increasingly popular in the US?

This got me to make this blog. I want to research clubbing in the 1900's starting at the dawn of the century. I hope to provide to you, (my loyal followers), all you need to know about nightclub life starting 112 years ago moving forward to our present-day culture. Please leave me comments on what you would like me to research, your own information about the history of nightclub culture, or just what you think about my blog. So sit back relax, and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dean, such an interesting topic, I'm sure that you'll have a lot of followers! From what little that I know about the early years of nightclubs (mainly from movies), they provided a means for community members to socialize and to enjoy various types of entertainment (music, comedians, etc). In this light, much has remained the same even after all these years. I'd love to learn more about the effects that Prohibition had on the nightclub scene (I've watched too many gangster movies). I can imagine that your Grandmother must have been thrilled that you interviewed her as part of your research. You’re off to a great start with your blog; I’m looking forward to returning soon to read (and learn) more!
    Mrs. A.

    ReplyDelete